Preview Ableton 9's Audio to MIDI Functions
- Words: Glenn Jackson
When Ableton officially announced its plans to release the next generation of Live (not to mention the company's first hardware controller, Push) last month, one of the most alluring new features of the software was its ability to turn raw audio into MIDI data. Now, a video has surfaced previewing in detail Ableton 9's ability to convert rhythmic and melodic audio into MIDI. Posted by Design the Media, a certified Ableton instructor (who so far seem to be the only people to have their hands on Ableton 9's beta version), the video shows the instructor using Ableton to extract the rhythms of a drum loop for use with a new drum kit, as well as converting a tricky melody into MIDI data to be used with a new synth. Truthfully, the video is a little dry, but the possibilities that this seamless—not to mention considerably fast—audio-to-MIDI conversion function seem to hint at are rather remarkable. Sadly, there still is not a set release date for Ableton 9, but with videos like the one below continuing to pop up, the anticipation is certianly palpable.
- GearKiNK Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Studio Set-Up
- GearWatch Ikonika Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- NewsCheck Out a New Documentary on the Spread of Balearic Music Culture
- NewsWatch a Video for "Girl," the A-Side of Jamie xx's Upcoming New 12"
- NewsOstgut Ton to Release 'Berghain' and 'Panorama Bar' Mix Series as Free Downloads
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player