Korg Unveils New Line of Mini Analog Synths
- Words: Glenn Jackson
Korg has unveiled yet another analog-based product which emphasizes portability and affordability, introducing three new units which will make up the company's forthcoming Volca line of mini-synthesizers. The three new synths are referred to as Keys (a "lead" synth), Bass (a bass synth), and Beats (a groove box); each model has its own unique set of features and capabilities, though they're all battery powered with built-in speakers, a loop sequencer, MIDI input, and mini-jack output. Furthermore, the units can all be synced together using a mini-jack sync connection.
The Keys model features three oscillators (tuned in unison) and the 1974 MiniKORG-700S filter, along with delay FX and a 16-step sequencer. The Bass model, whose design seems to hearken back to Roland's classic TB-303 bass synth, utilizes similar features as Keys, but with a stronger focus on the lower end of the frequency spectrum—specifically on acid-ready bass tones. Lastly, Beats offers up a number of tweakable analog drum sounds and PCM samples to use along with its 16-step sequencer. The full details of each unit can be read here, and a video promo featuring all three machines performing in sync can be viewed below. Each Volca unit will retail for $149.99 and can be expected to hit stores in July.
- FeatureLocals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- NewsDownload New Edits from Karizma
- NewsWatch the Wild New Video for "Tsekeleke," Nozinja's First Shangaan Electro Outing for Warp
- NewsStream a New Modeselektor Track from the Forthcoming 'Bleep:10' Compilation
- NewsDeadboy Streams Full Upcoming 'Return' EP for Numbers
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player