This Week in Music Tech: Mount Kimbie, Four Tet, Carl Craig, Traxman, and More, Plus an In-Depth Mastering Lecture
- Words: Glenn Jackson
This week brings a star-studded roundup featuring gear-related videos and interviews with Mount Kimbie, Four Tet, Carl Craig, Traxman, Robert Owens, Raffertie, and KiNK. All of that, plus RBMA's lecture with veteran mastering engineer Herb Powers Jr., makes the latest edition of This Week in Music Tech an essential one.
Before its sophomore LP drops next week via Warp, Mount Kimbie opened up its rehearsal space in order to take us through the process of how the pair translates its productions from the studio to the stage, letting us take a peek at its arsenal of gear in the process (spolier alert: they have a Tempest). The full interview can be read here.
As part of the current Red Bull Music Academy, Four Tet broke down his live set-up, explaining the individual components and ways in which he tweaks and extends his songs during performances.
Bulgarian producer KiNK became the latest producer to step up to FACT TV's Against the Clock challenge, building a track in 5 minutes using a variety of table-top analog devices, a turntable, and a mixing board. Though the clip does ride the line between crafting a track live and simply performing one, it does at the very least provide a nice glimpse into the producer's process.
London's Point Blank school recently had both house veteran Robert Owens and Ninja Tune affiliate Raffertie on site for a joint masterclass. The highlights from the session—which covers vocal mixing and treatment techniques, among other topics—have been compiled in the video above.
Of the many RBMA lectures which have surfaced in the past few weeks, one particularly interesting one came in the form of an interview with Herb Powers Jr, a seasoned mastering engineer with decades of experience and a seemingly limitless well of knowledge to share when it comes to the somewhat mysterious—but utterly essential—process of mastering music. Watch the full lecture here.
- NewsCheck Out a Playlist of the Top 100 Paradise Garage Tracks
- GearWatch Addison Groove Give an Extensive Tour of His Studio
- NewsCheck Out an 18-Mintue Remix from Ricardo Villalobos and Max Loderbauer
- NewsTOBACCO Shares New "Extremely NSFW" Video
- NewsStream a New Modeselektor Track from the Forthcoming 'Bleep:10' Compilation
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player