Watch Mouse on Mars Build a Beat in 10 Minutes
- Words: Glenn Jackson
Beginning with the strum of a banjo—yes, a banjo—and an iPhone app, veteran production duo Mouse on Mars takes on the challenge of building a beat in just 10 minutes, a task that proves all the more fun to watch given the pair does so while operating the many controls and sonic toys found in its immaculate studio space. But the banjo and iPhone are just the first building blocks for the duo of sonic experimentalists as they try their luck with FACT TV's Against the Clock challenge, looking to a number of softsynths, outboard FX, and even the voice of one camera operator to build the skeleton of a track. Though the two producers mostly speak to each other in German, it is still relatively easy to get the hang of what they are doing in the moment, and watching Andi Toma and Jan St. Werner frantically manipulate and run around their giant analog mixing desk just makes it all the more interesting. The full video can be watched below.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player