Karenn Discusses Live Set-Up in Extensive New Interview
Together as Karenn, Blawan and Pariah have forged a distinct path into the world of hard-edged techno. Though the pair's releases have certainly been impressive, it is Karenn's live show that has done much to build the group's respected reputation—placing both members behind tabletops densely stacked with gear, the duo's live performances have consistently proven to be a visceral mix of free-form hardware techno. Now, in a new interview, Blawan and Pariah have for the first time gone into detail about the gear and techniques which fuel the Karenn collaboration.
Appearing as part of Resident Advisor's Machine Love series, the in-depth interview was conducted as part of London's Electronic Music Event earlier this year, following a brief performance from the pair. In the course of the interview, the two discuss how they interact and communicate during Karenn performances, in which each member helms a separate collection of hardware. The pair also dives into the reasons they've chosen certain pieces of gear and how their live set-up reflects their studio set-ups, with Blawan especially discussing his fondness of modular synthesis. Karenn's full interview with RA can be read here.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player