Watch a New Mini-Doc on the Art of Vinyl Mastering
- Words: Glenn Jackson
Discussing the subject with accomplished mastering engineers Rashard Becker (who has also released his own music via PAN), Andreas "Lupo" Lubich, and Noel Summerville, a new mini documentary from the The Vinyl Factory dives into the current state of mastering tracks for wax. With a client list between them that includes Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Theo Parrish, Maxmilion Dunbar, Nicolas Jaar, and Laurel Halo—to name a few—Becker, Lubich, and Summerville provide a good deal of useful insight into the world of mastering for vinyl.
Though just over six minutes in length, Sculpting Sound: The Art of Vinyl Mastering does more than merely skim the surface of the somewhat mysterious, but essential process. Taking trips to talk with each mastering engineer in their own studio, the mini-doc is a quick but informative look into the art of cutting tracks onto vinyl, and more specifically, how the methods have changed and evolved in recent years. Sculpting Sound can be watched in full below.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player