Issue 117: XLR8R’s 15-Year Anniversary Issue
For our May issue, we pull out all the stops, revisiting XLR8R’s storied 15-year history while never stopping to look forward. A brilliant piece by painter Maya Hayuk adorns our cover, and behind it we get the skinny on some of our favorites over the years, from Moby to Portishead to The Prodigy and more. We also bring you the latest on the dance-rock scene with Cut Copy, Late of the Pier, and The Teenagers, and get in the studio with 9th Wonder and Eliot Lipp.
- G&W: The Onement
We profiled Georgia Ann Muldrow in Issue 110 and gave it a special call-out in our 15-year anniversary issue.
- The Funk Phenomenon
We paid respect to Bruno Natal's piece on baile funk in this issue.
- Softcore Hardcore
Drew Daniels, mastermind behind The Soft Pink Truth, got a special call-out in our 15-year anniversary issue.
- Soul Unpredictable
Soulstress and style queen Tiombe Lockhart got a special call-out in our 15-year anniversary issue.
- Boiling Points
Our famous phone feature continues in this issue, where we also referenced the very first installment of this series, with Jaga Jazzist and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez of The Mars Volta.
- Dabrye: Cold Front
Ghostly's Tadd Mullinix, a.k.a. Dabrye, graced our cover in May of 2006. We gave the article a shout-out in our 15-year anniversary issue.
- Ellen Allien: Thrill Seeker
We profiled techno's undisputed queen in March of 2005 and gave the a special call-out in this issue.
- Little Brother: Major League
This issue we get studio tips from 9th Wonder, who appeared on our August 2005 cover with the other members of Little Brother.
- Eliot Lipp Takes Flight
Also gracing our Machines section of this issue is Eliot Lipp, who we first covered in March of 2006 with this article.
- Audio Interview with Andrew Smith
Listen to Ken Taylor's full interview with XLR8R's founder and publisher.
- Making a Scene
Why?’s Yoni Wolf and punk icon Bob Mould examine the meaning of “do it yourself” then and now.
XLR8R is printed on 100% recycled paper
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player