Melbourne-based ii's cleverly titled MySpace page suggests that this duo's debut album, landlakes, draws its name from a combination of Timberland and Justin Timberlake, but ii isn't writing a club banger anytime soon. Rather, the two-member outfit's songs fit closer with the quiet, atmospheric sound collages of Growing or Cloudland Canyon, mixing complex rhythms with field recordings, guitar-loop trickery, and modular synthesis. Jon Tjhia and Alex Nosek still find a way to wring out some memorable melodies from the tracks, and make some unlikely and refreshingly abstract pop at the same time. Wyatt Williams
- NewsCheck Out New Mixes from Joy Orbison and Objekt
- GearArtist Tips: Dusky Details Five Techniques for Producing Precise, Club-Ready Tracks
- Feature20 Questions: FaltyDL Talks NYC Dance Crews, Tripping in Nature, and Motorcycle Gunslinging
- NewsStream Shenoda's New 'Who Ver?' EP for ManMakeMusic
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
XLR8R Downloads Player