Of Great and Mortal Men "James Monroe: The Last Cocked Hat feat. Marla Hansen"
The idea behind Standard Recording Co's latest release came about due to "February Album Writing Month," in which songwriters were challenged to create 14 songs in 28 days. Christian Kiefer, Matthew Gerken, and Jefferson Pitcher ended up writing 42, each one dedicated to a U.S. president. When it came time to compile Of Great & Mortal Men: 43 Songs for 43 Presidencies, the only person left to cover was Dubya. The three-disc release sees contributions from Xiu Xiu, Califone, and Wooden Wand, and come January, the boys will compose a tune for our 44th president. Start with this slow, country-flavored number about our fifth president, James Monroe.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player