Frank Omura "Juggernaut Audition"
IDM's sonic palette has expanded since the genre was born in the early '90s, so that it's no longer reserved for dark, faceless albums on labels like Warp and Rephlex, but also encompasses gauzy guitars, hip-hop beats, and releases with names like The Unshaven Face EP (well we think it's kind of a funny name). Producer Zach Saginaw made the latter under his Frank Omura guise, and there's a lot in this particular track–from the sweeping string arrangements to the unpredictable tempo–that harkens to the emotional side of dance music. This one was up for grabs courtesy of Moodgadget, a label that appears to be further broadening the scope of IDM with tracks like this.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player