Frank Omura "Juggernaut Audition"
IDM's sonic palette has expanded since the genre was born in the early '90s, so that it's no longer reserved for dark, faceless albums on labels like Warp and Rephlex, but also encompasses gauzy guitars, hip-hop beats, and releases with names like The Unshaven Face EP (well we think it's kind of a funny name). Producer Zach Saginaw made the latter under his Frank Omura guise, and there's a lot in this particular track–from the sweeping string arrangements to the unpredictable tempo–that harkens to the emotional side of dance music. This one was up for grabs courtesy of Moodgadget, a label that appears to be further broadening the scope of IDM with tracks like this.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player