An eight-year hiatus from making music is no small thing, and a return after said hiatus is even bigger news. Hence, our excitement over the return of DJ Food (now pared down to just Strictly Kev). A new EP, One Man's Weird is Another Man's World, is expected this summer. In the meantime, here is the lead track off the release. One Man's Weird is Another Man's World is out July 6.
Downloads - Page 624
L.A.'s Friends of Friends imprint might be unique in its concept, but like any good label releasing music, eventually there comes a time for remixes. Said hour is upon us, and L.A. noise-hop maker Nosaj Thing has taken on Jogger's "Nice Tights," turning it into distorted, staggered synth land.
Off Roots Manuva's Slime & Reason, "Do Nah Bodda Mi" is a Toddla T-produced track where electro and dancehall meet with a bang. German hip-hop producer XRABIT's take on the track turns it into a bass-heavy, upbeat jam.
Will Holland (a.k.a. Quantic) once again steers us through the tropic regions of the globe with this track from his upcoming album, Tradition in Transition. This time around he successfully excavates the musical territory of the Caribbean and Latin America and infuses those sounds with a fresh seasoning of funk and soul elements.
Brooklyn-based duo Holy Ghost! returns with a new track, and this one includes vocals from the Brooklyn Youth Chorus. The disco-loving, Serato-hating pair also shows off its fondness for old-school synthesizers here. Meanwhile, a debut album is expected sometime next year on DFA.
In the words of Collision Course's press kit, "it's time to present a celebration of everything that is addictive, bass-heavy, mischievous, and downright funky." The compilation, mixed by DJ/producer Azzido Da Bass, gathers some of the best tracks to come off the Luscious Sounds imprint in recent years, including this electro-flavored free-for-all from Malente. Collision Course is out July 3.
Our man Del the Funky Homosapien has a career that spans two decades and 14 albums, the latest of which is Funk Man (The Stimulus Package). Ever the socially conscious artist, Del's well aware of our troubled times on the album, and he doesn't hold back discussing them. Bonus: the entire album is available for free right now.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player