Magnum 38 "Slave"
It takes something special to make interesting electro-house in today's jam-packed, ever-evolving electronic music environment, but Berlin's Magnum 38 has managed to do so in a big way. His latest EP is comprised entirely of noise-influenced electro that takes its emotional feel—not to mention plenty of samples—from the almighty doyenne of nightlife, Grace Jones. "Slave" utilizes cut-up vocal samples from "Slave to the Rhythm" above a crunchy, hissy beat and some surprisingly ethereal backing synths. Though some of Jones' fans might not appreciate the reworking of her clarion voice, many more are sure to be blasting this beast into the winter.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsListen to Tin Man's Upcoming 'Ode' LP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player