Cassian "Final Round"
The synths in this jammer from Australia's Cassian are so big and bright that it is hard for the listener to not want to listen to Scotch or Doctor's Cat records afterwards. What's interesting, though, is that while "Final Round" references some very Italo sounds, it also has an early-'80s American arena disco-soul feel with its delayed, panning guitar sounds à la Billy Ocean and samples taken from popular video games of the period. Cassian has a record coming out soon, and if it shares the aural splendor of "Final Round," it will be a favorite in this reviewer's car for months, as well as a great new arrival from down under. Bang Gang has been instrumental in fostering this scene, which is documented on The Bang Gang 12inches Compilation, where "Final Round" makes its inaugural appearance.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
XLR8R Downloads Player