Mike Slott "40 Winx"
Young Harlem transplant Mike Slott crafts glitchy, futuristic beats that fall somewhere between dubstep, hip-hop, and old-school breaks. What's most interesting about "40 Winx," then, is that it is so soothing, featuring bass sounds that recall Ellen Allien, and shimmering high frequency loops that can best be described as dreamy. Fresh off of a collaborative effort with Hudson Mohawke, the rest of Slott's latest mini-album, titled Lucky 9teen, is an exercise in creating ambient music from a jazzy, hip-hop perspective; in other words, the Irish native proves himself to be one of the more versatile and interesting producers working right now.
- GearArtist Tips: Mister Saturday Night on the Importance of Building a Proper DJ Booth
- NewsWatch Ben UFO's RBMA Lecture
- MP3Machines in Heaven "Hindu Milk (Debukas Remix)"
- NewsStream Keysound's Upcoming 'Certified Connections' Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Maya Jane Coles, Joy Orbison, Mister Saturday Night, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player