Skinnerbox "King of Diamonds"
Creating space techno from a jazz perspective is not a common approach, but somehow the duo of Skinnerbox manage to do just that on "King of Diamonds," utilizing a 7/8 time signature, harp-like synth arpeggiations, some weird acid squelch, and a warm Moog-driven melody. Though the track's sound is certainly of the present, it does share some lovely similarities with old Mr. Fingers workouts and more meditative Detroit tracks of the 1990s. If this is the future of techno, then we have a lot to look forward to!
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player