The Miracles Club "Light of Love"
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Ecstasy
No matter how much we love all of Honey Owens' ambient/experimental pop work with Valet and Nudge, it would be a lie to say that we weren't initially a bit skeptical of her new "house music" project, The Miracles Club. After all, Portland isn't exactly a hotbed for club music and the city's arts-and-crafts, über-DIY house-party vibe doesn't usually lend itself to proper house and techno. But if "Light of Love," the title track from the group's new self-released EP, is any indication, it seems that our fears were unfounded. The Miracles Club is actually a collaboration between Owens and the drum-machine-wielding Rafael Fauria, and the pair often cites classic Chicago house as a major inspiration. The '80s piano melodies on "Light of Love" certainly reflect that, but the song is also bathed in washy melodies and a slightly psychedelic feel—it's not exactly modern, but it's no exercise in nostalgia either. Maybe all those rainy days in Portland have got The Miracles Club dreaming of sunny Ibiza.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player