The Miracles Club "Light of Love"
- Words: Shawn Reynaldo
- Label: Ecstasy
No matter how much we love all of Honey Owens' ambient/experimental pop work with Valet and Nudge, it would be a lie to say that we weren't initially a bit skeptical of her new "house music" project, The Miracles Club. After all, Portland isn't exactly a hotbed for club music and the city's arts-and-crafts, über-DIY house-party vibe doesn't usually lend itself to proper house and techno. But if "Light of Love," the title track from the group's new self-released EP, is any indication, it seems that our fears were unfounded. The Miracles Club is actually a collaboration between Owens and the drum-machine-wielding Rafael Fauria, and the pair often cites classic Chicago house as a major inspiration. The '80s piano melodies on "Light of Love" certainly reflect that, but the song is also bathed in washy melodies and a slightly psychedelic feel—it's not exactly modern, but it's no exercise in nostalgia either. Maybe all those rainy days in Portland have got The Miracles Club dreaming of sunny Ibiza.
- NewsHear a Soulful New Edit from Eliphino
- NewsRBMA Announces the Complete List of Participants for Its 2014 Edition in Tokyo
- MP3Radio Slave & Thomas Gandey "XLR8R"
- NewsStream the Final Track from Anthony Naples' Upcoming EP for The Trilogy Tapes
- NewsMount Kimbie Shares New Mix, Announces Upcoming North American Tour
XLR8R Downloads Player