Funki Porcini "This Aint the Way to Live"
One of Ninja Tune's original star producers, Funki Porcini (a.k.a. James Braddell), returns with his fifth album for the label, and with a first single like "This Aint the Way to Live," there's no doubt that Braddell has stuck to his downtempo/chillout roots. Here, sub-sonic bass, foreboding synth harmonies, and bits of squelch ride over dusty percussion that occasionally explodes in wet, synthetic fury. In some ways, "This Aint the Way to Live" is almost too dark for a club's side room, but it is certainly perfect for rainy day walks or drives through a metropolis, its gray sonic pallette and plodding tones reflecting slick streets and soaked faces.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player