Oneohtrix Point Never "Pelham Island Road"
One may think that making spatially amorphous, rhythmless washes of soupy synth tones and blurry aural textures would be relatively easy, and they'd be right. However, making those same sounds interesting proves a task few are capable of. Alongside the likes of Brian Eno, Tangerine Dream, and Mike Oldfield stands Oneohtrix Point Never: Brooklyn's Daniel Lopatin manning the station of formless electronic music (whom XLR8R featured in its pages not long ago). This slice of interstellar sonics is taken from his latest release, Returnal, and is as equally indescribable as the Lopatin's confounding moniker. "Pelham Island Road" starts off with what sounds like the tail end of another instrumental suite heavy with Juno-60 patches, and cuts off abruptly on its way to another floating point somewhere further into Lopatin's psyche. (via FADER)
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player