TC James & The Fist O'Funk "Get Up on Your Feet (Walter Gibbons Mix)"
This classic disco edit is the first taste from the epic Walter Gibbons retrospective compilation, Jungle Music: Essential & Unreleased Remixes 1976-1986 (read more on that here), coming July 20 via Strut. For his version of the classic TC James & The Fist O'Funk number "Get Up on Your Feet," Gibbons more than doubled its length, pumped up the percussion and horn elements, and tossed in his own bunch of analog synth sounds—effectively taking the art of edits well into the future. Listening to this track, it's easy see why Gibbons is often referred to as a pioneer; many of the ideas displayed here are still production mainstays of contemporary disco-minded artists such as DFA, Lindstrøm, and Todd Terje.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsDefected Announces Masters at Work Anthology
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsTerekke Preps New EP for L.I.E.S., Streams Title Track
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player