Blackbird Blackbird "Hawaii"
The thing that makes chillwave such an easy genre to poke fun at (aside from the deplorable title, of course) is the ease and frequency with which these youngsters write, record, and share their music. But maybe that's its strong point, too; the songs you're hearing are born of a youthful exuberance that stems from the immediacy of their creation and unveiling. One such producer, San Francisco's Blackbird Blackbird is a high-school student named Mikey S, who's making electronic bedroom-pop that leans heavily on twinkling synth tones, patently reverb-laden coos, and simple, thumping dance beats. "Hawaii" is a fine example of the music maker's knack for catchy melodies and vocal hooks that speak directly to your uncynical, lighthearted inner teen. You can snag a whole lot more of Blackbird Blackbird's material here on his Tumblr page, and buy his new album Summer Heart here. (via Get Off the Coast)
- PodcastGerd Janson
- FeatureReal Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- NewsLes Sins Shares "Talk About" from Upcoming Debut LP
- NewsCheck Out the Video for Teengirl Fantasy's "Lung" Single
- NewsWatch the Animated Video for Lone's "Restless City"
- Real Talk: Hieroglyphic Being on His Unorthodox DJ Style, Muscle Mirroring, and Why the Whole Thing Is a Big Cosmic Joke
- Getting Down, Biking Around, and Reveling in the Final Days of Trouw: Reflections on ADE 2014
- Labels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- Labels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
XLR8R Downloads Player