Starkey "Gasping for Air in this Void"
This previously unreleased slice of street bass heat from Philly native Starkey premiered the other day on FACT, and we just couldn't resist sharing it with our readers as well. "Gasping for Air in this Void" is introduced with a sample-based orchestral melody that sounds like it was lifted from one of hip-hop's strongest beatsmiths, but is quickly traded out for Starkey's trademarks: dirty bass synths, razor-sharp beat work, and intergalactic noise. The producer's hot new tune switches between a slow-grooving shuffle that could soundtrack a head-nodder's wet dream and a grimy breakdown that Three 6 Mafia ought to consider for its next mixtape—all before Starkey finishes "Void" off with skittering hi-hats and staccato synth melodies riding a booming 808 off into the distance.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player