Balam Acab "Regret Making Mistakes"
The first official record for both NY witch-house producer Balam Acab and the Tri Angle label, the See Birds EP is turning out to be quite the proverbial 'feather in the cap' for all parties involved—not to mention the burgeoning genre itself. We've already heard a few of 18-year-old Alec Koone's tunes, and now we're treated to another before his EP drops on August 16. "Regret Making Mistakes" shows Koone working diligently with a delayed Banjo loop, buzzing basslines, slow-stuttering beats, and a number of twinkling, atmospheric melodies, all wrapped around a haunting, operatic vocal sample. And despite the meticulous labor spent tweaking each found element, Acab's production isn't overwrought with flashy effects pleading for your attention—as a whole, the song sublimely commands it. (via Pitchfork)
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player