J. Dilla "Sycamore"
Back in May, the folks at Stones Throw dropped another posthumous release from the late, great J. Dilla, an EP that features—along with the actual music—two Serato control records and two donut slipmats. Three of Donut Shop's six tracks are instrumentals of tunes lifted from recent releases, and the other three—including this tune, "Sycamore"—are unreleased productions hand-selected by J.Rocc from Dilla's archives. Not much can be said about a Dilla beat that isn't hip-hop common knowledge, even with a fresh track. The dirty shuffle of the producer's drum-machine rhythms and thick bass-synth funk are paired with a bit of MPC noodling for another gritty classic. And as per usual with the legend's work, "Sycamore" doesn't need the help of an MC to keep things interesting through its two and a half minutes.
- NewsRBMA Announces the Complete List of Participants for Its 2014 Edition in Tokyo
- NewsHear a Soulful New Edit from Eliphino
- MP3Radio Slave & Thomas Gandey "XLR8R"
- NewsTeebs, Jonwayne, Baths, Daedelus, Ras G and More to Feature in Upcoming LA Beat Scene Documentary
- FeatureDrums, DJ Dez, and The D: 10 Things You Need to Know About Andrés
XLR8R Downloads Player