Psychic Ills "Mantis (Juan Atkins Remix)"
Well, this is wonderfully massive—in more ways than one. As we previously reported, the Brooklyn-based RVNG label nabbed that guy who, you know, made up that whole techno thing (a.k.a. Juan Atkins) to do a remix of a song by NY noise makers Psychic Ills (pictured above) for its fourth installment of the FRKWYS series. That's a pretty big deal, sure, but what's really huge is the track Atkins produced for his contribution. His remix of the heavily psychedelic and meandering "Mantis" eschews just about everything from the original save for its guitar plucks, moody vibe, and length. Instead of live percussion and wafting synth tones, the remix focuses on a thick, hypnotic bassline, an incessant drum-machine beat, and a few samples from Psychic Ills' number warped into unrecognizable sound effects. And if you've got it on repeat like we do, the 10-minute track seems to carry on indefinitely without ever wearing its welcome thin. (via Altered Zones)
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Tycho
- NewsFour Tet Streams Final Forthcoming Percussions Tracks
- MP3Marley Carroll "First Thought, Best Thought (Little People Remix)"
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player