Themselves "You Ain't It (Lazer Sword Remix)"
Nearly a year after reuniting to drop its latest full-length album, CrownsDown, Oakland's Themselves has gathered some of its friends and labelmates for a release of remixes, called CrownsDown & Company. Before that 10-song record hits shelves, we've got the exclusive premiere of one of Company's remixes, by Lazer Sword (pictured above). Low Limit and Lando Kal (who have their own debut full-length coming out in the not-so-distant future) have traded in their usual robo-swagger for a more surly, punch-drunk soundscape wrapped around stomping beats. You can be sure that little to none of Jel's original production work from "You Ain't It" made it into Lazer Sword's piece, but once Dose One's vocal delivery gains headway into the mix, the tune switches gears into a slick-but-noisy hip-hop jam that Themselves' own beatsmith wouldn't shy away from. More remix work from the likes of Baths, 13 & God, Buck 65, Odd Nosdam, and others will be featured alongside this track when Company is released on September 21.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Untold, Tycho, Jam City, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player