Chromatics "Circled Sun"
In the spirit of vintage authenticity, the Italians Do It Better label has repackaged Chromatics' stunning 2007 album, Night Drive, with an analog remastering of its 10 tracks and a small handful of unreleased Johnny Jewel Italo jams. Obviously, the Portland outfit's vintage-sounding instrumentation and production aesthetic drive the sterling "Circled Sun," but it's Ruth Radelet's sublime vocal performance that radiates as the star of the song. Her voice quietly calls out through rolling drum-machine sounds, chilly synth twinkles, and barren guitar strums—providing the song with the only sound more glowing than its analog warmth as she sings, "Circled sun, you are not the only one." (via Gorilla vs. Bear)
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player