Seams "Hung Markets"
We're happy to see that traveling the world (or even just the idea of traveling the world) seems to inspire a budding crop of music makers to make intricately arranged and profoundly heartfelt techno-leaning dance tunes, as opposed to, say, crunkcore. Much like his ex-tourmate Gold Panda, producer James Welch (a.k.a. Seams) has turned his globe-trotting escapades into the driving force behind the ambient soundscapes and pulsing beats of his music. "Hung Markets" is one such song, and is taken from his forthcoming EP for Pictures Music, Tourist. Welch says that the release is "inspired by the outdoor living of [Berlin] in the summer, and how much music was intrinsically linked to daily life." And you can hear that in the airy field recordings that open and close the song, as well as the swells of white noise that provide the upbeat to its constant rhythm and the hazy samples that fill in the gaps. We'll see what other sounds Seams has to offer when his four-song Tourist EP drops this November.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player