Caribou "Sun (Midland Re-Edit)"
- Words: Patric Fallon
This unofficial-but-Caribou-approved edit of the Canadian musicmaker's Swim cut "Sun" is a deftly chopped-up and collaged version of the psych-heavy dance tune by UK-based Midland (pictured above). The talented Leeds-based DJ/producer has been gaining momentum lately, thanks to a collaborative 12" with Ramadanman and a hotly tipped contribution to FACT's mix series, among other big moves. Taking just a cursory listen to his Caribou re-work, it initially seems like not a whole lot has changed from the original track, but underneath the wealth of recognizable sounds—the warbling synth melodies, the delayed vocals, the upbeat rhythms—subtle extras have been introduced to the mix to strengthen "Sun"'s dancefloor appeal. Midland's addition of bouncing low-end, live percussion sounds, and eventually, his own layers of moving synths help transform Caribou's song from a piece of bedroom party music to a club-appropriate house jam.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
XLR8R Downloads Player