The Juan Maclean gives Codebreaker's summer hit the remix treatment, transforming an Azoto-like Italo-disco number into a Chicago house track, replete with lovely piano flourishes and stretches of acid squelch. Though a bit darker than the original, the remix maintains a bouncing, clubby vibe that might make Daft Punk blush.
Downloads - Page 619
Originally intended as the flip-side to Ikonika's Hyperdub debut, Please, this is one hell of a wonky dubstep tune. Bloopy synth arpeggiations, double-time rhythmic structure, and a distanced mix make for a perfect dubstep track; bizarre structural similarities to Glassjaw's "Siberian Kiss" also add to the intrigue. Although well-known to her fans, "Phonelines VIP" has never before been available for purchase; instead, Ikonika has decided to offer up the track for free download exclusively through XLR8R.
Hauntologists is the most recent collaboration of electronic musicians and producers Stefan Schneider (of To Rococo Rot and Belle Orchestre) and Jay Ahern. Taken from their recently released EP2, "A1" displays Hauntologists' penchant for mixing traditional African instruments with more synthesized sounds, resulting in a minimal techno track that is perfect for the post-minimal climate—in a way, the duo's work evokes Villalobos' lo-frequency, mid-tempo mind-melters, but with more discrete melodic content.
Tummaa, the forthcoming album from Finnish composer Sasu Ripatti's Vladislav Delay moniker, opens with the esoteric sounds of "Melankolia". The amorphous song twists and turns from within its clattering, reverberated self — a disjointed piano refrain offering the track's only solace of melody before drifting back into the slow pulse of the composition.
Doshy, the Berlin-bassed Tigerbass producer, just about one-ups the source material from Kid606's Shout at the Döner track, "Monsters," on Kid's latest Dancehall of the Dead remix EP. Bringing to mind a vintage Switch production, Doshy's remix is a crackling, high-energy jam that vibrates with just about all the wobbly bass one could shake a glow stick at.
L.A. space-hop beatmaker Ras G (and his Alkebulan Space Program) blasts off with another piece of chunky, crunky hotness, this time offering a taste off of dublab/Porter Records' Echo Expansion compilation, expected in stores on August 18. Click it while it's hot!
Montreal-based NROTB pounces on this banger from the Major Lazer squad and vamps it up with that disco-y, nu-rave, electro-house kick that everyone has been, well, raving about as of late.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player