Denver warehouse weirdo Pictureplane is getting ready to unleash Dark Rift, a down-and-dirty collection of DIY dance music that celebrates everything from old-school rave to grime to '80s dance pop. "Goth Star" slices up Fleetwood Mac's "Seven Wonders" and swaddles it in a thick blanket of fuzz and electronic grit.
Downloads - Page 621
Transforming a dancehall track produced by Diplo and Switch into a near-cosmic Italo number is no short order, but the duo of Classixx have managed to do just that with their new remix of Major Lazer. Setting Jahdan Blakkamoore's vocals over a slow-motion early house beat and fantastic, bright arpeggiating synths, the track overflows with summer soulfulness. (Via Mad Decent)
The fine folks over at the Bang Gang stable put a few of their closest confidantes on remix assignment for this single from the boys in Damn Arms. This funked-up electro and French-house mishmash from DJ/producer Jaunt instantly caught our attention.
Kudos to the Anticon camp for slinging out yet another winner from the boys of Why?. Glistening like the hood of a Thunderbird on a scorching summer afternoon, this song of pop-drenched melancholia provides a taste of the group's upcoming fourth long-player, Eskimo Snow. Eskimo Snow will be released on September 22.
Brooklyn-via-San Francisco transplants Lemonade have put together an exclusive track for XLR8R TV's "Tune in an Afternoon" series. The song, appropriately titled "Fish Clap," features the trio sampling themselves making a tasty meal, and transforming those sounds into a bouncing, steel drum-driven number that could serve as the theme song to some sort of tropical kids' show.
The U.K.'s latest exports, a sample-loving production duo called Keaver & Brause, mesh elements of hip-hop and hazy electronics for their debut album, The Middle Way. "Airborn," a loop-based piece showcasing a herky-jerky guitar sample as it floats over a slow and steady hip-hop beat, brings to mind Flying Lotus' more relaxed moments or a stripped-down Boards of Canada production.
Drew Lustman may be from New York, but as FaltyDL he creates next-level sounds that stand up tall alongside the best abstract dubstep, two-step garage, and wonky coming out of London. Fresh off the release of his debut album Love Is a Liability, he gives us "And I Really Know...," a spacey tune that simultaneously recalls both Burial and Boards of Canada with its skittery drums, haunting vocal snippets, and deceptively simple sonic expanse. Love Is a Liability is out now on Planet Mu.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player