Downloads - Page 716
2008 has already been a momentous year for Montreal-based trio Plants and Animals, with the band joining The Whigs onstage, playing SXSW, and releasing Parc Avenue this past March on Secret City (The Go! Team, Miracle Fortress). With lead vocalist Warren Spicer's recognizable voice leading the album's musical trajectory, the band delves into soft, acoustic ballads, post-rock numbers, and intricately crafted tracks that call to mind '70s rock songs.
Detroit hip-hop veteran Black Milk has teamed up with MC Fat Ray for Read more »
Bird Peterson is native Texan who's been pushing tracks on blogs almost as hard as his B-more influenced beats, getting attention for a spread of leftfield remixes that include everyone from Lil Wayne to The Who. The internet has helped with more than just promoting his tracks though–Peterson learned his remix chops from the producers posting on Hollerboard. Though he lives in Austin, he speaks with a lot of respect for Maryland's biggest export: "There is a real art behind making a really good Baltimore club track." On "Bills," Mugsy Flowz handles the mic duties while Peterson uses his art skills and makes this track a thick, stuttering banger. Wyatt Williams
"Get Bitches" comes fresh off Guilty Simpson's Ode to the Ghetto release, and we didn't lace you with the clean version of the track either. Here, the Detroit native raps about baby mamas, smoking the good shit, and getting rich, while heavy beats and some seriously bad ass handclaps pound in the background. The album, which marks his first for Stones Throw, lies somewhere between indie hip-hop and gangster rap, and is, of course, thematically concerned with his hometown. Photo by Eric Coleman.
Temposhark lives up to its name on this track. The group of Brighton, U.K.-based rockers has been praised for its energetic tracks over the last few years, but in the hands of Welsh rapper Akira the Don, "Bang" becomes a whirlwind of slamming beats and hotly spit lyrics, with a few distorted guitars to finish things off. The original can be found on Temposhark's debut album, The Invisible Line, recently released in both the U.S. and Canada.
Fresh off compiling a banging mix for the XLR8R Podcast, Fiskars, Sir Nenis, and Flipperi–who collectively make up the Top Billin crew–lace XLR8R with this track off their recently released EP. Tales from Top Billin Vol. 2 finds the Finnish trio pushing six new tracks of pure party music, perfect for the club or house shindig. "Willing" features bold handclaps, upbeat synths, and a distinct disco flavor that should induce some serious ass shaking.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player