In keeping with Athen, his first album for Statler & Waldorf, Pellarin has developed his latest release around a city theme. This time, he heads to Gundsø, an area north of Rosklide, where he grew up. It's also the home of Denmark's only nuclear plant, a surprising fact, considering the album is a collection of placid, soothing musical compositions.
Downloads - Page 719
Like his friend and counterpart Caspa, 22-year-old Chris Mercer (a.k.a. Rusko) prefers his dubstep with a little cheekiness. The self-proclaimed geek who produces his music in London has a love of Squarepusher, chilled-out tunes, and bagels, all of which find their way into the music he makes. "Each to their own, but our music is completely dancefloor," Mercer said in a recent article for XLR8R. "It's got to be uptempo."
Munk had a few remixes kicking about around the time his debut album was released. Gomma has now collected and repressed them as a single EP entitled Remixed, which features Digitalism, Passarani, and Zongamin behind the mixing board. Oddly enough, the tracks here sound more like they came from 2008 than 2005, which might say something about the lasting appeal of the Munich-based artist's music.
Clark has always been known for mixing laptop electronics with rock-style drums. Turning Dragon, his latest album on his longtime home Warp Records, finds the artist moving towards a even tougher, more explosive, sound, adding cut-and-paste samples and enough distortion to put all those electro kids from Europe to shame. Clark will be turning dance clubs into raves in Europe throughout 2008, and will hopefully hit Stateside soon after.
You'll know London-based dubstep producer Caspa from his work as one half of Caspa & Rusko, as well as his solo releases for labels like Tempa, Argon, Pitch Black, and others. Unlike the brooding, pensive beats so frequently found in dubstep, Caspa makes high-energy tracks that could easily be the soundtrack to an upbeat house party, lacing them with electro and dancehall flavors. "Ohh R Ya?" is off the License to Thrill Volume 1 EP, out now on his Dub Police imprint.
Jay Haze's forthcoming Love & Beyond album should both confuse and excite fans. The Berlin-based, American expat has prepped a two-CD version of the album, as well as a two-LP version, both with entirely different tracks. "90 Deep" comes from the CD version of the release. Its trippy, start-and-stop rhythms and disparate melodies should be a taste for what's in store when the full album drops in April.
Turning hip-hop on its head once again is Read more »
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsFriends of Friends Details Fifth Anniversary Comp Featuring Shlohmo, Shigeto, Machinedrum, Nicolas Jaar, and More
- NewsLapalux Drops New Single for Brainfeeder, Announces European Tour
- FeatureFive Artists Not to Miss at Vancouver's New Forms Festival
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player