Jason Forrest "Ciccone Youth"
One of Berlin's overachieving musical busybodies, Jason Forrest (a.k.a. DJ Donna Summer, co-head of the Nightshifters label) just resurrected his eponymous musical endeavor for its first release in six years. The four-song Utopia EP came to fruition when Forrest was approached by Brian Miller, head of the LA-based Deathbomb Arc label, about contributing to his digital singles club, and Forrest opted to do a full EP instead, releasing it ahead of an upcoming full-length album. But don't expect any of the same raucous party music the multi-faceted tunesmith slangs from his more active outlets; this is leftfield, instrumental audio geekery through and through. As "Ciccone Youth" is the first track on Forrest's new EP, the track takes its sweet time swelling to a proper volume, as if it's slowly preparing you for the onslaught of buzzing electronics, churning rhythms, and indecipherable ear candy that's about to overcome your brain. It's a fine example of noise music with a serious taste for melody and tempo, more of which you can download for free from Forrest's Utopia EP, here.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player