Jason Forrest "Ciccone Youth"
One of Berlin's overachieving musical busybodies, Jason Forrest (a.k.a. DJ Donna Summer, co-head of the Nightshifters label) just resurrected his eponymous musical endeavor for its first release in six years. The four-song Utopia EP came to fruition when Forrest was approached by Brian Miller, head of the LA-based Deathbomb Arc label, about contributing to his digital singles club, and Forrest opted to do a full EP instead, releasing it ahead of an upcoming full-length album. But don't expect any of the same raucous party music the multi-faceted tunesmith slangs from his more active outlets; this is leftfield, instrumental audio geekery through and through. As "Ciccone Youth" is the first track on Forrest's new EP, the track takes its sweet time swelling to a proper volume, as if it's slowly preparing you for the onslaught of buzzing electronics, churning rhythms, and indecipherable ear candy that's about to overcome your brain. It's a fine example of noise music with a serious taste for melody and tempo, more of which you can download for free from Forrest's Utopia EP, here.
- NewsPaul Johnson, Jerome LOL, Untold, The Gaslamp Killer, and More Added to Together 2014
- Feature20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- PodcastThe Range
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Aphex Twin, Jamie xx, Todd Terje, and More
- NewsGerd Readies New 12" for DFTD; Preview It Now
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
- Hi-Five - DJ Q Reminisces About His Five Favorite UK Garage Bootlegs
XLR8R Downloads Player