Thunderball "Runaway (Ghosts on Tape Remix)"
- Words: Patric Fallon
Washington, D.C., chill-groove electronica trio Thunderball gets a serious makeover here, courtesy of San Francisco's tropically inclined bass excavator Ghosts on Tape. However, for his re-work of "Runaway," the original of which is taken from the forthcoming 12 Mile High record to be released on Thievery Corporation's ESL label, DJ/producer Ryan Merry switches out his percussion samples and low-end rumbles for something better fitting of an illegal warehouse party circa 1993. But it's not all glowsticks and Blow Pops on this track; Ghosts on Tape toys with ethereal vocal sampling à la UK bass music's finest, drops in some classic clubby synth melodies, and flips his production halfway through for an ominous finish that's purely his own. At nearly 10 minutes, it's certainly the longest song we've heard from Merry, but it might very well be his best, too.
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player