Star Slinger "Baby Mama"
- Words: Patric Fallon
Manchester/Leeds-based beat craftsman Darren Williams (a.k.a. Star Slinger) has been blowing up some of our favorite blogs as of late, and we're starting to understand why. Along with making a ton of tunes and handing them out like so much Halloween candy, the producer's work is all over the musical map—making remix stops in Deerhunter, Small Black, and Cocteau Twins territory when he's not crafting his own glistening, sample-based hip-hop locales. Our first offering on behalf of the up-and-coming artist is the R&B-heavy "Baby Mama," an ecstatic head-nodder that brings to mind the wonky, neon sounds of Hudson Mohawke, Rustie, and the like, although this tune is perfectly quantized. Comparisons aside, Star Slinger shines not only as an expert sample user, but also as a musician who knows how to use a catchy, memorable melody to keep the listener coming back to his songs again and again.
- GearWatch Goth-Trad Make a Beat with Ableton Live
- NewsWatch Jeff Mills' 1998 Red Bull Music Academy Lecture
- NewsWatch Just Jam Sets from Mount Kimbie, Loefah, Omar Souleyman, and More
- NewsListen to Girl Unit's Crystalline Remix of Little Dragon
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
XLR8R Downloads Player