CSLSX "Paula Abdul drinking a Pepsi, October 17th, 1987"
- Words: Glenn Jackson
If we knew anything more about CSLSX than that it is a collective based in Philadelphia and has a handful of great tracks to its name, we'd be happy to tell you. But we don't, so the track will just have to speak for itself. The title seems rather appropriate, as a number of elements from the song could have originated in 1987; the initial drum loop and giant tom fills have '80s drum machine written all over them and the chopped, incomprehensible vocals could easily be a sample from an '80s freestyle group. It even could have been an instrumental for a Paula Abdul song, that is, if she had been really into psychedelics and was a little more concerned with boarding the mothership than dancing with giant cartoon cats. Decades-old pop-culture references aside, the track is an excellent mix of the cheesy and the majestic, pairing the '80s elements with swirling pads, sparkling percussion, bouncing arps, and globs of reverb and delay. Our curiosity has certainly been sparked for the mysterious group, whose identity appears to be safe now, but for how long? (via Altered Zones)
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player