- Words: Glenn Jackson
- Label: Photek Productions
Well, it certainly has been a while since we've heard from UK jungle pioneer Photek. (Seriously, we really haven't heard anything from him since his 2007 collection Form and Function II.) Now Photek is ready to make his 2011 resurgence with a new EP, Avalanche, set for release in February of next year. "Slowburn" is the first track released from said EP and, well, it's not exactly what we expected over here at XLR8R HQ. There is definitely a new Photek at work here, one that's not sounding much like his early jungle output or even like his later dabblings in house, as "Slowburn" instead presents itself as the veteran producer's step into new territory, one defined by slower tempos, heavy bass, and aggressive drums. We won't know the full extent of this transformation until Avalanche is released on February 28, but we figured you'd be curious to hear this first offering in the meantime.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player