Star Slinger "Hot Potato"
- Words: Patric Fallon
Apparently, UK beatmaker Star Slinger considers himself quite handy with a sampler, as the title of his recently shared, free EP Rogue Cho Pa indicates, and we'd be inclined to agree. This fiery cut from that fresh online offering certainly speaks volumes to the producer's claim. "Hot Potato" holds fast to the classic blueprint of soul music chopped up and reformatted for use in hip-hop instrumentals, and since there aren't any live vocals on Star Slinger's tune, he uses the space to let loose with a barrage of well-played tricks. While vocal snippets, clipped guitar strums, subtle string arrangements, and gutturally funky bass plucks make up the meat of the song, it's the way those sounds deftly interplay with the red-hot beat and spacey synth sounds that set "Hot Potato" apart from the other five cuts on the Rogue Cho Pa EP. You can grab the whole thing here, and if that's not enough sample magic for you, check out a collaborative joint Star Slinger did with Texas-based producer Teams for a forthcoming Mexican Summer release, here. (via Altered Zones)
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- FeatureLabels We Love: 10 More of Our Favorite Labels, Plus Some Newcomers Worth Watching
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player