Phil Manley "Life Coach"
While not putting in time as the guitarist for an array of well-respected bands (Trans Am, Jonas Reinhardt, and The Fucking Champs, to name a few) Phil Manley keeps busy with his own solo work, which includes a new album that will be released in the near future via Thrill Jockey. That record is called Life Coach, and this song, its title track, closes out the LP. The seemingly home-recorded sounds all bring to mind Manley's work with his other bands—the motorik pulse of Trans Am's sex jams, the lilting atmosphere of Jonas Reinhardt's cosmic neo-Krautrock sounds, and the cyclical guitar riffs of The Fucking Champs. The tune clocks in at nearly three minutes, but seems to float by much quicker, leaving us wondering what the rest of Manley's instrumental compositions might deliver before these fleeting and final moments.
- FeatureLabels You Love: The Top 20 Labels, As Voted by XLR8R Readers
- NewsListen to Slam's Upcoming 'Reverse Proceed' LP for Soma
- NewsLegowelt and Willie Burns Launch Bizarre Online TV Show; Watch the First Episode Now
- NewsCheck Out a New Mix from Mount Kimbie
- NewsListen to Huxley's Upcoming Debut LP, 'Blurred'
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
- October 20: MUTEK.MX with Andy Stott, The Bug, Roman Flügel, Objekt, Laurel Halo, Oneohtrix Point Never, and More
- November 5: Club to Club with Caribou, SBTRKT, Recondite, Marcel Dettmann, Clark, Vessel, Luke Vibert, Jacques Greene, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player