Phil Manley "Life Coach"
While not putting in time as the guitarist for an array of well-respected bands (Trans Am, Jonas Reinhardt, and The Fucking Champs, to name a few) Phil Manley keeps busy with his own solo work, which includes a new album that will be released in the near future via Thrill Jockey. That record is called Life Coach, and this song, its title track, closes out the LP. The seemingly home-recorded sounds all bring to mind Manley's work with his other bands—the motorik pulse of Trans Am's sex jams, the lilting atmosphere of Jonas Reinhardt's cosmic neo-Krautrock sounds, and the cyclical guitar riffs of The Fucking Champs. The tune clocks in at nearly three minutes, but seems to float by much quicker, leaving us wondering what the rest of Manley's instrumental compositions might deliver before these fleeting and final moments.
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player