Johnny Sable "Made in Taiwan"
It's easy to think of the whole post-dubstep scene as a UK-centric phenomenon, but new artists continue to pop up all over the globe. Just yesterday, we posted a tune from Lithuania's Brokenchord, and now New Zealand is getting into the act, courtesy of Johnny Sable. The young producer isn't reinventing the wheel, as "Made in Taiwan" relies on skittering garage beats, emotive pitch-shifted vocal snippets, and subdued rave synths. Yet despite the familiarity of the song's building blocks, Sable's construction work is the key here, as he effectively fills the track with negative space, which keeps things light and restrained, even as the tune picks up steam over the course of its five minutes. It's an impressive offering, and one that makes on wonder what else the Kiwis have been brewing up on the club front.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player