Time Wharp "mandelbrotset"
When we think about the burgeoning tape culture that's been really picking up steam as of late, slow-brewing bass music is certainly not the first sound that comes to mind (nor the second, third, or fourth for that matter), and yet here we are. From a forthcoming full-length album by Atlanta's Time Wharp (a.k.a. Patrick Loggins) for the Wonder Beard Tapes label, "mandelbrotset" is a post-dubsteppy slice of click-clack rhythms, swelling synth melodies, and ghostly vocal manipulations served up with a heavy wash of lo-bit fuzz. Loggins' track is patient and even-handed, taking its time to build in strength before it eventually unravels during the relatively understated climax, but is nonetheless full of enticing sounds and fresh takes on the handful ill-defined genres it could easily be connected to. It's also vaguely reminiscent of the music from the boss level of a Nintendo game you played in 1989, as are Time Wharp's other tunes, which you can download through his Bandcamp profile for free. (via Altered Zones)
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- MP3Dengue Dengue Dengue! "Banana"
- NewsBoiler Room's 'Beats Unraveled' Series Continues with a Version of Shlohmo's "Places"
- MP3Kenji Kawai "Making of a Cyborg (Rope Re-Interpretation)"
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
XLR8R Downloads Player