Magic Pink "New Black Spring"
- Words: Glenn Jackson
The Pacific Northwest seems to be ripe with a new crop of solo electronic producers lately. Take Portland's Tara Swenson, who makes music under the name Magic Pink, for example. She has a collection of free songs, entitled //TapeMix\\ (artwork above), that is freshly available on her Bandcamp, on which you'll find "New Black Spring." For this particular cut, Swenson shows a slightly aggressive edge to her lo-fi/ambient/electro, bedroom-born productions. A pounding kick-snare and distorted acid synth drive the track from the onset, ushering us into Magic Pink's murky, solemn world. In the background we hear layers of vocals that sit beneath the noisy, chaotic mess, which continues to fill with more heavy-hitting programmed drums and over-driven electronics, existing somewhere between witch house-esque beats and ethereal dream-pop. //TapeMix\\ is Swenson's first excursion under the Magic Pink moniker, and a promising one at that.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player