A Lull "Weapons For War (Houses Remix)"
Many moons ago—if you'll remember with us—we premiered a brand-new song from the burgeoning post-rock artisans in Chicago's A Lull, entitled "Weapons For War." Since that song went live on our website back in October 2009, the boys of that band gave it a bit of a facelift in preparation for its official release as the lead track on A Lull's debut LP for the Mush label, Confetti—not to mention the Weapons For War EP (pictured above), which drops on March 1. Also on that EP are a handful of remixes, including this one from fellow Chicagoans Houses. The electro-pop-inclined pair reformat the original song's baroque layers of percussion and busied melodic elements into a simple and bubbling tune that floats somewhere in between The Postal Service's more sullen moments and that one song from the '90s about a phonebooth by Primitive Radio Gods. But instead of sampling B.B. King's bluesy vocal hooks, Houses nabs a lyric from singer Nigel Dennis—repeating "We'll all lay down when it's time to/Not one minute early/Not one minute early" before trailing off into the remix's gradual comedown.
A Lull's Confetti is out on April 12.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsWatch the New Video for Jamie xx's "Sleep Sound"
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- MP3Frank B "Chain of Fools"
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player