The Pacific Northwest-based Dropping Gems collective/label has put together an impressive compilation featuring the likes of Shigeto, Sumsun, yuk., and more in an effort to raise funds for cancer research. The comp, entitled Gem Drops, is also where you'll find this cut from Portland beatsmith Devonwho. "Brushmetal" takes the prize for most g-funkin' contribution to the collection with its slippery synth melodies and loose, meandering bassline, all complimented by a tantalizing mass of programmed clicks and hisses that fill the spaces rendered empty by the track's giant kick drums. It's just one of the many choice beats found on Gem Drops (artwork above), which is available for a "pay-what-you-want" price at Dropping Gems' Bandcamp with 100% of the proceeds being donated to the American Cancer Society. Good beats for a good cause, who ever said head-nodding beat-junkies couldn't contribute to society?
- NewsWatch the Video for Clark's "Riff Through the Fog"
- NewsNicolas Jaar, 3 Chairs, Jamie xx, DJ Koze, and More Announced for Dekmantel 2014
- GearAKAI Unveils APC40 MkII and Rhythm Wolf Drum Machine and Bass Synth
- GearArtist Tips - Max Cooper Details Five Ways to Focus Your Artistic Vision and Tighten Up Your Productions
- NewsMaya Jane Coles to Helm Next Fabric Mix Album
XLR8R Downloads Player