Ricardo Villalobos "Easy Lee (Monolithium Recrunk)"
- Words: Patric Fallon
A new name emerging on the dubstep/bass/club scene in British Columbia, Victoria resident Monolithium (pictured above) is quickly gaining the attention of fans and critics alike, thanks in part to his small but solid web presence, his Sub|Division party, and his burgeoning affiliations with the Error Broadcast label. The producer has a noted affinity for Ricardo Villalobos, and displays his affection in full form with this "recrunk" of the techno auteur's "Easy Lee" tune. Monolithium's new version of that modern classic mostly toys with the vocoder vocals—wrapping the robotic melody in broken, hip-hop-flavored dubstep rhythms and darkly emotive synthscapes. We have no idea whether or not Villalobos would be a fan of this bootleg version of his track, but if nothing else, it's a well-crafted tribute that's sure to please dance music fans across the board.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player