Om Unit "Prawn Cocktail"
London-based producer Om Unit is one of those producers who operates outside of traditional genre definitions, melding together sounds and trying on different styles whenever it suits him. On his latest EP, The Timps, which comes out March 21, Om Unit delves into the world of electro—real electro, not the buzzsaw bangers that have been masquerading underneath its banner in recent years. "Prawn Cocktail" is a prime example, a track that sounds a lot more like Cybotron than MSTRKRFT. Powered by pulsing synths and 808 beats that recall vintage Detroit, the song doesn't have many bells and whistles, but it doesn't really need any. It's just a sleek piece of dancefloor-friendly magic, a tune that's also prime for remixing; the re-work by Salva, which also appears on the five-track release, is quite potent. To hear more, check out the EP's teaser video, posted after the jump.
- GearArtist Tips: Peter Van Hoesen on How to Listen More Effectively
- NewsRecondite Announces Upcoming LP for Innervisions, Streams New Track
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsSBTRKT Drops Video for "New Dorp. New York"
- MP3Clap! Clap! "Ashiko (Lurka Obeah Remix)"
XLR8R Downloads Player