Om Unit "Prawn Cocktail"
London-based producer Om Unit is one of those producers who operates outside of traditional genre definitions, melding together sounds and trying on different styles whenever it suits him. On his latest EP, The Timps, which comes out March 21, Om Unit delves into the world of electro—real electro, not the buzzsaw bangers that have been masquerading underneath its banner in recent years. "Prawn Cocktail" is a prime example, a track that sounds a lot more like Cybotron than MSTRKRFT. Powered by pulsing synths and 808 beats that recall vintage Detroit, the song doesn't have many bells and whistles, but it doesn't really need any. It's just a sleek piece of dancefloor-friendly magic, a tune that's also prime for remixing; the re-work by Salva, which also appears on the five-track release, is quite potent. To hear more, check out the EP's teaser video, posted after the jump.
- NewsStream Different Sleep's Dreamy Debut EP for Friends of Friends
- PodcastFrankie Knuckles
- NewsPixelord, DZA, 813, and Others to Appear on Upcoming Russia-Focused Compilation
- NewsThe Lowdown - This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with Robert Hood, Tycho, Jacques Greene, and More
- FeatureHi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- Locals Only: Prins Thomas Shares His Five Favorite Spots in Oslo
- 20 Questions - Robert Hood Talks Underground Resistance, Kraftwerk, and Cheese Grits
- Hi-Five - Dauwd Selects His Favorite Tunes from the Kompakt Catalog
- 20 Questions - Teebs Talks New Album, Low End Theory, and Playing 'Street Fighter' with Flying Lotus
XLR8R Downloads Player