Matthew Dear "Slowdance (How to Dress Well Seance)"
In the midst of working on his "seance" (read: cover/remix/etc.) for Matthew Dear's forthcoming Slowdance EP (pictured above), Brooklyn's soulful lo-fi specialist How to Dress Well must have taken a break from his old-school R&B obsessing and nursed a little itch to hear some poignant '80s pop—namely, Berlin's "Take My Breath Away." Singer/producer Tom Krell didn't exactly steal from the classic song, but you can hear some distinct similarities in both vocal performances. As it happens, Krell's song may even reach loftier heights of heart-wrenching emotions; from a distant and hidden place he mumbles unintelligible stanzas with his patently injured falsetto while strangely crisp synths swell and sink around shuffles of distorted noise. You can hear more versions of "Slowdance" from the likes of Todd Edwards, Nicolas Jaar, and Bear in Heaven, among others, when Matthew Dear's EP drops on April 5.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- MP3Astronomar "Gargoile (Massacooramaan Remix)"
- MP3Shiva "Dark Moon"
- FeatureHi-Five: Tin Man Selects His Top Acid Tracks
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player