Lapalux "Time Spike Jamz"
Taking a step back from its work on the dancefloors of the world, UK label Pictures Music branches out from releasing high-tempo bass music with a new EP from Essex-based producer Stuart Howard (a.k.a. Lapalux). The 22-year-old artist seems to prefer crafting chopped rhythms, slow-moving bass grooves, sporadic sample flurries, and other handmade audio treats, as opposed to the kinds of slick club burners we're used to hearing from his new label home—and that's just fine with us. Like on the fractured sounds of "Time Spike Jamz," Lapalux's formula exposes the bones of his productions, allowing the listener a chance to see the many ideas that float and flutter about inside his musical mind, but not without leaving us with a fully formed jam before the track's end. Expect more of those revealing sounds when Howard's Many Faces Out of Focus drops as limited-edition cassette and digital download on April 18.
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- NewsDownload a New Mix from Ben UFO
- MP3kidkanevil "Thousand Year Forest (One for Yosi)"
- NewsStream "Fifty Fathoms" from Marquis Hawkes' Upcoming EP
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player