Jonwayne "Crumbled Luna"
Los Angeles rapper/producer Jonwayne has garnered a good deal of buzz within the SoCal beat community over the past few months, and next week will see the release of the producer's first proper full-length, Bowser (artwork above). Yes, that's right, Jonwayne has chosen to name his newest LP after the legendary antagonist from the Mario Brothers series, and maybe not just for nostalgia purposes; it's also as a nod to the chosen fidelity of the majority of the producer's sound sources—8-bit. Nestled a little before midway into the video-game homage of an LP is "Crumbled Luna," which begins with a slightly off-kilter arpeggio that somehow teeters between blissful and menacing while tiny drums skitter below. Then come the chords; swelling, lush, and vibrant, they evoke a sense of drama that's not easy to come by within the sonic realm of outdated microchips, and yet it's a realm which Wayne seems to walk through with a confident, concentrated swagger. "Crumbled Luna," along with Bowser's 18 other 8-bit opuses, can be heard in full when the LP is released April 19.
- GearArtist Tips: Marcel Dettmann's Five Keys to Being a Good DJ
- NewsSoundCloud Announces Advertising, Royalty Collection, Subscription Service
- NewsDownload a Lush Ambient Production from xxxy
- NewsCheck Out John Talabot's Remix of Bicep, Download an "AltMix"
- NewsAvalon Emerson Gives Away Remix and Edits Collection
- 20 Questions: Jackmaster Talks Fast Food, Rubadub, and Coping with the Endless Party Loop
- Get Familiar: Dark Entries
- Nothing Is True, Everything Is Permitted: Wolfgang Voigt, Lawrence English, and Others Ponder the State of Ambient Music
- 20 Questions: DJ Harvey Talks Surfing, Rock 'n' Roll, and the Meaning of Life
XLR8R Downloads Player