Magic Panda "Dream Theory"
According to the press release for the new two-song release by Norwich producer Magic Panda, The Glass Mountains EP (pictured above), his dreamy electronic music has been seven years in the making, only crystalizing into its finished state around January 2010 when he decided to take it out of the studio and onto the stage. That being said, we can excuse 29-year-old Jamie Robson's 'Panda' moniker, and also the sonic similarities he shares with another UK-based Panda on the bubbly "Dream Theory." The bounty of slightly tweaked sounds that make up the melodic portion of Magic Panda's upbeat track float and flitter throughout the ambient soundscape he's crafted here, and are all driven by a quick-pulsing dance rhythm from start to finish. Like we said before, there are certainly elements reminiscent of Gold Panda on "Dream Theory," but Robson brings a somewhat more organic, almost playful approach to the ambient techno sound, which helps set him apart.
- FeatureReal Talk: DVS1 on Respect, Photography on the Dancefloor, and the Battle Between Art and Entertainment
- GearDntel Shares Five Essential Pieces from His Home Studio
- NewsAphex Twin Talks 'Syro,' Gear, '90s Rave Culture, and More in Extensive New Interview
- PodcastSimian Mobile Disco
- NewsThe Lowdown: This Week's XLR8R Top 10 with DVS1, Aphex Twin, Dntel, and More
- September 18: New Forms Festival 2014 with Oneohtrix Point Never, Hieroglyphic Being, Helena Hauff, Madlib, and More
- September 24: Decibel Festival with Marcel Dettmann, KiNK, FaltyDL, John Roberts, Steffi, Simian Mobile Disco, and More
- October 15: Amsterdam Dance Event with Four Tet, DJ Koze, Jon Hopkins, Karenn, Ben UFO, Floating Points, MCDE, Talaboman, and More
XLR8R Downloads Player